Final thoughts on Trump.
1) 30.9 % of people voted for Trump.
2) The fact they did tells you all you need to know. People want change, they are sick of career politicians, they are worn down by neoliberalism which Hilary represented. Donald offered an alternative for some and so jaded were they, they took it. Many others used him as a chance to protest against the current political system and make their feelings heard. No different to Brexit in the UK.
3) People think Trump ‘said it how it is.’ The fact he said outrageous things means less than the fact he said them clearly, simply and without the familiar cloak of obscurity worn by politicians.
4) Hilary wasn’t the answer but that didn’t mean Trump was the solution.
5) If you can’t understand the Trump vote, that’s something you need to work on. The only answer to this mess is understanding and an ability to see the biggest picture.
6) Name calling, denigrating those who voted Trump, getting into arguments on social media is not going to achieve anything. Everyone who voted for Trump isn’t a racist/sexist/misogynist/ignorant fool but every racist/sexist/misogynist ignorant fool voted for Trump. Focus on common ground, you have it. It hides behind the hate.
7) The left have a problem. It can’t be fixed with rhetoric, distancing, a well-timed hashtag, incredulity. There is no point in blaming some ‘ism’ or deciding everyone who voted for Trump is a bad apple. You need to understand the landscape without bias, ego and without deliberately trying to silence those you don’t agree with.
8) Don’t polish your ego because you voted Hilary. Don’t polish your ego because you voted Trump. Dusting the shit between the cracks would be more beneficial.
9) Trump didn’t make anyone beat up a gay man or abuse a person of color. He didn’t create racists or homophobes. He simply gave legitimacy to peoples prejudice’s or stoked their flames of fear. There is no ‘other’ in society. We are all the same, made from the same material as stars, but society: media, politicians and so forth like to pretend some amongst us are devoid of star dust and therefore burn less bright. It’s how they keep us under the thumb, submissive and distracted.
If this election means anything, it means people want change and through voting for a businessman instead of a politician they have shown they are looking for authenticity. Trump may not have it, but that doesn’t stop the need and want for something more transparent and fair. It could be a start of something rather than the end of everything.
10) Finally, you will get through this.
© Copyright Henrietta M Ross.
Follow me on social media for stories, poetry, monologues, oddness and my life as a unpublished author. I am changing this trajectory, one moan at a time.
Or follow my cranky newsletter.
Thanks for stopping by ♥ Please share this post if you like it. Need you!